PUBLISHING DESIGN - Task 3: Book
FANN WONG JING EN|0382237
Design Principles | Bachelor of Design (Honours) in Creative Media
GCD61404 Publishing design
TABLE OF CONTENT
MODULE INFORMATION BRIEF (MIB)
LECTURE NOTE
TASK 3A
Content Included
The content and visuals used for the book were developed from the previous tasks. The formatted text gave me the main written content, while the visual compilation helped me decide the mood and image direction of the book.
Exercise 02: Mock-up Making
Final Book Size: 175mmx225mm
Task 02: Content Generation
For Task 02, I researched book layout references and visual styles that matched the mood of my book. I focused on references with blue tones, clean typography, image layering, and strong use of negative space.
After that, I collected and compiled my own JPEG images based on the mood of the book. The selected images focused on blue tones, quiet scenery, blurred movement, night atmosphere, and emotional visuals.
Before developing the book layout, I researched different book design references to understand how text, images, and white space can be arranged in a publication. I looked at layouts that used strong image placement, simple typography, and a clean structure.
For this print test, the PDF was exported using the correct page settings and booklet option. Although the page order and dimensions were correct, a visible gap appeared between the adjoining images after printing. The printing service was unable to resolve this issue, as it was related to the file output. As a result, I decided to switch to a different printing service to continue the printing process and achieve a better result.
After the unsuccessful print tests, I switched to ArchPrint for the final production. The final print was completed successfully with the correct page sequence, dimensions, and overall print quality.
FINAL SUBMISSION
Mockup Printout
TASK 3B
FEEDBACK
Week 12:
General Feedback:
The lecturer reminded us to photograph the book using natural light, either direct or indirect sunlight, instead of indoor lighting, as indoor light can make the final photos look less appealing. We were also reminded to use a QR code that remains accessible long-term, rather than one with an expiry date.
Specific Feedback:
The lecturer said the overall pacing of the video is good. However, since the main purpose of the video is to promote the book, it should include a few shots of the book’s pages to showcase its content. A QR code should also be added at the end so viewers can easily access the book after watching the video.
Week 11:
General Feedback:
The lecturer reminded us that Task 3A and Task 3B should be presented in the same blog and not separated. By next week, we are expected to showcase the completed work, including the promotional video and the full blog.
Specific Feedback:
The lecturer advised that the barcode should only be placed at the bottom of the page to maintain a consistent and systematic layout. In addition, a reference section should be included at the end of the book to acknowledge all sources of inspiration, including images, layouts, and any other design ideas.
Week 10:
General Feedback:
Completed the black-and-white mock-up and made improvements based on the lecturer’s feedback. After that, I printed the book at actual size, tested the colour output, selected the final paper, and produced the final colour mock-up for approval. The entire process, including the mock-ups, test prints, revisions, and final book presentation, was documented in the ePortfolio. Finally, I created a short promotional motion graphics video based on the book content, uploaded it to YouTube/Instagram, and embedded it in the ePortfolio.
Week 9:
Specific Feedback:
The lecturer said the layout looks good, but the font for each chapter should be consistent. Using the same font and style throughout will make the publication look more organised and systematic.
REFLECTION
Experience
Throughout Task 3, I worked on printing my book in both black-and-white and colour versions, and also created a promotional video for the final book. This task felt different from the previous stages because I was finally able to see my design become a real physical book. It was quite exciting, but also a little stressful because some details looked different after printing.
When I printed the black-and-white version, I could focus more on the layout, contrast, and readability. It helped me see whether the design still worked without relying on colour. After that, the colour version felt more complete because the blue and warm tones made the book’s mood stronger. Besides the printed book, I also made a short promotional video. This part was interesting because I could use music, transitions, text animation, and picture-in-picture effects to present the book in a more engaging way.
Observations
From this task, I observed that printing is very important in publishing design. A design can look good on screen, but the printed result may feel different. Some images looked darker, and some colours did not appear exactly the same as the digital version. This made me realise that checking the printed outcome is necessary before finalising a book.
I also noticed that the black-and-white and colour versions gave different feelings. The black-and-white version looked more quiet and serious, while the colour version felt more emotional and visually attractive. For the promotional video, I observed that small editing choices, such as timing, transitions, and text movement, can affect how the audience feels when watching the video.
Findings
From this task, I found that the colour printed version suited my book better because it showed the mood and atmosphere more clearly. The black-and-white version was still useful because it helped me check the contrast, page structure, and readability. Comparing both versions helped me understand the strengths and weaknesses of my design.
I also found that the promotional video was a good way to introduce the book. Instead of only showing still images, the video made the book feel more alive. It allowed me to show the title, selected pages, mood, and overall concept in a short and simple way.
Overall, this task helped me understand the importance of final presentation. I learned that a book is not only about the layout file on screen, but also about how it looks when printed and how it can be introduced to others. Although the process took time and required many small adjustments, I felt satisfied seeing the final printed books and promotional video completed.

























































Comments
Post a Comment